The Friends of Saqqara Foundation helps to support the Dutch excavations in the New Kingdom necropolis at Saqqara. With your help the expedition can continue to explore this fabulous site, to restore monuments they have found, to acquire the necessary equipment and to employ more workmen. In exchange for your generosity you will receive the annual Newsletter, access to the exclusive Friends-section of our website, and gain up-to-date and first-hand information on the ongoing excavations from the archaeologists themselves. The annual Newsletter will include the very first preliminary report(s), usually only supplied to the Ministry of State for Antiquities (MSA).
There are several membership categories:
- Regular, € 35 (within the Netherlands)
- Regular, € 40 (outside the Netherlands)
- Student, € 17,50 (within the Netherlands)
- Student, € 22,50 (outside the Netherlands)
These amounts are the minimum yearly donations for Friends. Higher amounts are of course welcome! Students will be asked to show their valid student ID.
If you wish to make a one-time donation without becoming a Friend, please donate now using PayPal.
For non-digital donations our account number is 9562150
Funds generated by the Friends of Saqqara Foundation are used directly to further the excavation and restoration projects of the Dutch expedition at Saqqara. Specific goals are chosen in close coordination with the field directors of the excavation.
Recent projects sponsored by the Friends of Saqqara include:
- roofing of the tomb of Horemheb
- restoration of the chapel of Tatia
- smaller restorations of the tombs of Horemheb, Tia, and Maya
- radar surveying of Early Dynastic burial complexes below the New Kingdom tombs (by Dr. B. Deslandes and his team)
- first year's rent of new dighouse